Friday, July 25, 2008

Family History- Joel Hills Johnson


Family history has become my a biggest hobbie right now. I figure while I work at Ancestry.com I better take full advantage of it. I get a free subscription to all TGN websites so I better use it. I love reasearching the Johnson's family (on my Dad's side in my Grandma's line) . Joel Hills Johnson has become one of my favorite ancestrys. There are so many stories about him and his family. When I learned that he wrote the hymn "High on a Mountain Top" I made it a goal to memorize the whole hymn. So far I know the whole 1st verse.

Joel is known for his poetry. This is one of his poems I like. He wrote it after his wife, Anna Pixley, died.

O lovely one, and hast thou gone,
While in life's early bloom,
And left me here to weep alone,
My loved one in the tomb?

Must I in life ne'er see thee more,
Thou lovely one so dear;
Has death thee from my bosom tore,
No more my heart to cheer?

Yes, death has chilled thy loving heart,
And thou art from me torn!
Yet we shall meet, no more to part,
Where none are left to mourn.

Then I shall cease my grief and woe,
Nor let my heart repine;
The loving gem I've lost below
Shall soon again be mine.

Shine on, thou lovely gem so dear;
In you sweet world of light;
I soon shall come to meet thee there
And claim thee as my right.

Anybody that is interested in seeing the my Family History tree email me.

1 comment:

Jordan and Mandy said...

ya it was my second time and i want to go one more time to see a Broadway but jordan wants to see a philly's game before we go so we might be doing that instead. anyways i was wondering can you see my slideshows with kelsey and me in new york and D.C.?